The English Football Association announced on Thursday that striker Raheem Sterling will return to the 2022 World Cup squad after spending some time in England after his house was robbed.
“Raheem Sterling will return to England’s home in Qatar,” the FA said in a statement.
The Chelsea striker has left Doha for family reasons but is now expected to join the team in El Wakra on Friday ahead of the World Cup quarter-final against France.
Sterling did not feature in England’s final 3-0 victory over Senegal as Phil Foden and Bukayo Saka played on either side of striker Harry Kane. It seems unlikely that Sterling will be selected to start against France, but his return increases manager Gareth Southgate’s options on the bench.
According to British media reports, intruders broke into Sterling’s home while his family was inside on Saturday evening.
But later, the London police confirmed that no one was in the house at the time of the robbery and there were no death threats. Police said the occupants of the house were on an “overseas business trip” and upon their return found that a number of jewels, including a watch, had been stolen.
Sterling has been a key player in the Three Lions since Southgate took over.
The 28-year-old has scored 20 goals in 81 international matches, including one against Iran in a 6-2 thrashing victory in the 2022 World Cup.